HOW TO: Make a Great Business Website For Less Than $10
At GeoReach we understand that small businesses have limited resources but that is no reason not to have a great website. This post will give you all the tips you need to make a professional website without a professional.
- CHOOSE A GOOD SITE CREATOR- I used www.wix.com to create this site. I think Wix is a great tool it has a ton of options and if you upgrade to one of the premium plans (which is $6.60 per month) you get a $50 in Facebook advertising and an $75 in Google ad words advertising.
- CHOOSE A CLEAN PROFESSIONAL TEMPLATE- Too often I see small business websites that are WAY too busy. I suggest choosing a template from the Photographer or Portfolio category. These categories always have modern clean looking templates.
- CHOOSE NO MORE THAN 4 COLORS- Color schemes are one of the most important design elements. I always think its smart for non-designers to keep it simple. Choose one bright statement color in the site I made it was purple. Then choose 3 muted base colors I chose black grey and white. For help with picking colors try http://www.colourlovers.com
- COMPILE 10 HUGE PICTURES OF YOUR PRODUCTS AND BUSINESS- Since you are not a graphic designer don’t rely on graphics to jazz up your site instead personalize your site with great photos. You don’t need professional photos just make sure you stage them and only use big images, Small photos tend to look more amateur.
- TRY USING SILHOUETTES- If you are going to use graphics/clipart on your site try silhouettes. They always look modern and professional I got these dog silhouettes from Vector Dogs Silhouettes. They have 1000’s different of silhouettes so no matter what business you are in they should have something relevant.
- STICK WITH THE BASICS- This site has only four pages but it covers everything you need for a small business website. Remember that consumers come to your website to: 1) Find out about your products/services, 2) Contact your business, 3) Check out your photos, 4) Find your address. If you cover all 4 things then the rest is just extra.
- KEEP YOUR SITE UPDATED- The greatest part about using a site creator rather then hiring a web designer and developer is that you can update your site yourself. There is nothing worse then a site with outdated or misleading information.
- ASK FOR HELP- If you are absolutely terrible with all technology ask for help. Use your friends, family and staff as a resource.
If you want to visit my Wix site and see what I did you can find it here: SITE EXAMPLE
www.wix.com site builder
http://all-silhouettes.com/ for great silhouette graphics
http://www.colourlovers.com/palettes to help you pick a great color palette
Remember if you have questions we are always here to help
HERE ARE SOME MORE SCREEN SHOTS FROM THE SITE: